Friday, January 31, 2014

Declaring War

The old saying goes, "While the cat's away, the mice will play". Maybe in our case we should tweak it to say, "while the american's are away, the mice and rats will TAKE OVER". :) And that, my friends, is the honest truth!

While I (Kezia) was worried about returning to a mildew and moldy house, I did not prepare myself for the infestation of all "God's creatures great and small".

To my surprise my house was free of mold and mildew. I was mostly concerned about our things that we had stored away in a closed up bedroom for those 7 months. The humid climate in which we live, we are always dealing with mildew. Especially with books, clothes, shoes and of course the bathrooms. However, it dawned on my later that our time in the states was the hot/dry season here and so I think that played a part in the mold/mildew free house.

And so began the job of taking back our territory from the pests. Mice, rats, cockroaches, ticks, bats and pigeons. And it is turning out to become quite the job.  Air conditioners were not working because of nests built around the fans, piles of chewed paper were found in the office, tick removal is a daily processes for Chloe (one night we removed 50-70 from her), all kinds of pest sprays/gels, poison and disinfectant has been purchased as we have declared WAR!

Monday, day 4 of our 2nd term on the field, I decided to make chicken in the oven. The oven was only on for about 10 minutes when the house began to fill will the most awful smell. A smell that makes your stomach revolt. I quickly turned the oven off and removed my food. And waited for the smell to dissipate.

 After some investigation we found out that mice and rats have been living/making a bathroom facility in the insulation around the oven. The Brazilian couple tells us that during their stay at the mission (during our absence), they saw a rat enter the oven and the wife decided to kill it by turning the oven up full blast. They locked themselves in their room and "about died" from the smell and after which she gave the stove/oven a thorough cleaning So they advised me not to use the oven. To use the stove top you would suspect nothing to be wrong. With all this in mind we begin to put out poison, avoided using the oven and the stove top sparingly and to look for someone to fix my stove (with no results).

Sometimes we just have to take action and Today we did. I convinced Stephen to help me take the oven outside. Declaring I  didn't want it in my house any longer! And really deep down in my heart I just wanted to THROW it AWAY! And so it began, we tore into it and tore it apart. Anything that had screws came off. Off came the back and the stove top, revealing urine saturated insulation. (Excuse me while I gag) As Stephen began pulling out the insulation a live mouse JUMPED OUT!

With disinfectant and a hose, we were able cleaned it up. It looks great! It is now sitting in the sun drying out and Stephen is trying to find a place that sells insulation for stoves. And then comes the fun part of putting it all back together and hoping it works.




Some people think that because we are missionaries that we should be able to handle these things and that it should be expected. But remember we are human just like you.

 I am no longer (referring to the fact that I once was) one of those people who scream and jump around when they see mice and cockroaches. I have learned how to tolerate these things and take action. So with that in mind, pray for me. I am having a hard time readjusting to all the pests.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go puke and shed a few tears. :)

Taking it a day at a time with Jesus and a can of Raid at my side,
~ Kezia



No comments:

Post a Comment